sending a fax from networked HP Officcejet Pro 8500

Tijl Coosemans tijl at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 10 11:54:07 UTC 2016

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 20:26:10 -0700 Gary Aitken <freebsd at dreamchaser.org> wrote:
> I've got an HP Officejet Pro 8500 sitting on the local network.
> Web interface allows me to scan and save a document as a pdf.
> Web interface also has way to set up fax forward as email or save
> in a network-accessible directory.
> I'm interested in sending a pdf as a fax.
> There's no equivalent in the web interface for sending that I
> can find.
> The proprietary software for mac and windoze apparently knows how
> to send a fax.
> My searches turn up nothing helpful.
>
> anyone know how?

Make sure you have print/hplip installed with FAX, SNMP and X11 options
turned on.  Then remove the printer from the CUPS web interface at
http://localhost:631 and instead set up your printer using HP Device
Manager that should be available somewhere in the application menu of
your X11 desktop system (if not, run hp-toolbox from a terminal).  This
setup process will scan your network for available printers.  I don't
know if fax support will be set up automatically together with the
printer or if it will be listed as a second printer.  If it's listed as
a second printer you may need to run the setup process twice.  I have a
printer+scanner and that just shows up as one device.

How to send a fax is explained at http://hplipopensource.com/node/180