FreeBSD Firewalls

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Dec 8 19:47:14 UTC 2016

On Wed, December 7, 2016 17:10, Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 14:55:34 -0700 (MST), Warren Block wrote:
>> Either PF or IPFW, depending on who you ask.
>
> Or depending on _how_ you ask: For simple and "static" concepts,
> IPFW is the typical suggestion, while more advanced and extended
> firewalls setups lead to PF as a recommendation. But of course
> it's not that one of the firewalls cannot be used for the other
> "contradicting" purpose... :-)

Thanks.  For the immediate case simple and static is probably the best
description. Overall however we intend to replace Linux with FreeBSD
on all our hosts; real and virtual. That includes our gateway routers,
which are single purposed x86_64 1u units.  Thus learning PF seems the
most economical choice.

No doubt I will have questions on PF.  But for the moment the book
seems straight-forward enough.

Sincerely,

Canada  L8E 3C3