Pkg artefacts

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Dec 6 17:20:16 UTC 2016

We find this on a FreeBSD-11p0 system:

ll /usr/local/pgsql
total 17
drwx------  19 pgsql  pgsql  25 Nov 24 12:52 data

ll /var/lib/pgsql
total 17
drwx------  19 postgres  postgres  27 Dec  1 12:44 9.6

Checking the contents of both directories reveals a remarkable
congruence.  So, why do two virtually identical directory trees,
albeit with different owners, exist on this system?

We use pkg to manage software applications. And this is what pkg reveals.

pkg info postgresql\*
postgresql96-client-9.6.0
postgresql96-contrib-9.6.0
postgresql96-docs-9.6.0_1
postgresql96-server-9.6.0_1

pkg info postgresql96-server
postgresql96-server-9.6.0_1
Name           : postgresql96-server
Version        : 9.6.0_1
Installed on   : Wed Nov 30 10:36:03 2016 EST
Origin         : databases/postgresql96-server
Architecture   : freebsd:11:x86:64
Prefix         : /usr/local
Categories     : databases
Licenses       :
Maintainer     : pgsql at FreeBSD.org

Which directory is the correct one for our installed version of the
server?  I am guessing /usr/local/pgsql.

On this server when we upgraded from FreeBSD-10 to 11 we also ran
portsnap update to complete the upgrade process.  But that does not
tell me how we ended up with two version of the postgresql data
structure.  Any ideas out there?

Canada  L8E 3C3