Looking for some direction

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Dec 4 14:51:16 UTC 2016

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016, Patrick Mahan wrote:

> All,
>
> I am buying an arduino board to do some hobbyist stuff in robotics and other
> real-time control (sound, audio, etc).  I see that there are multiple arduino
> ports in the ports tree, but I don't see a mailing list for arduino directly and
> what I have seen via google-fu seems to be a few years out of date.
>
> Is there a group of tinkers inside the FreeBSD community who are currently
> playing with the latest arduino platforms?

Define "latest" :)

Unfortunately, the FreeBSD Arduino ports are only for the Atmel
microcontrollers.  Other processors like ARM and the ESP8266 need both a
newer version of the Arduino port and the associated toolchain.

That said, the ATmega microcontrollers are pretty capable, and the
Arduino IDE is the same across platforms.  It's inexpensive to try it
out.