macpro1,1 installation

Heikki Lindholm holindho at saunalahti.fi
Thu Dec 1 10:14:28 UTC 2016

Hello list,

The FreeBSD 11 installation media appears to have only UEFI (hybrid?)
variants for amd64. On some older Macs, including macpro1,1, EFI is
32-bit, which FreeBSD does not support. I'm supposing, when trying to
boot the FreeBSD 11 media, the Apple boot manager picks up the EFI part
of the CD and eventually fails, because the EFI booter on the CD is
64-bit. I have also tried through different boot managers (refind,
grub-efi, grub-pc, plop) in order to get the CD boot in BIOS emulation
mode, to no avail.

Can I find a FreeBSD 11/amd64 install CD without EFI support somewhere
or is there a way to produce such with reasonable effort?

I'm not sure what would be the correct channel for asking a question
like this. My previous attempt went unanswered here so I'm supposing no
one knows about these sorts of things.

Regards,
Heikki Lindholm