SSHguard & IPFW

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Wed Sep 30 17:58:43 UTC 2015

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 591, Issue 2, Message: 14
On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 09:41:55 +0200 Nino J <nino80 at gmail.com> wrote:

 > To answer your second question, IPFW has no problem using the same rule
 > number for multiple rules. Thus sshguard is not limited to 50 addresses.
 >
 > Also, next version of sshguard won't use IPFW rules, but rather an IPFW
 > table to insert IP addresses to be blocked. Thus it will only need a single
 > deny rule.

That's so much smarter than a fixed block of rule numbers, and you can
put your table lookup or action rule/s whereever you want in rulesets.

Moreover, utilities could add a 32 bit value to table entries such as a
timestamp (for later expiry) or a skipto address for classification of
different types of detected behaviours, whatever ..

 > I'm currently using development version of sshguard which uses IPFW table
 > and it works fine for me.

I'm more paranoid and only allow addresses in a table to access sshd's
port, with a couple of roaming users who need to check mail to update
their IP before login .. but this is great news for sshguard users.

cheers, Ian