git diff encoding issue when running via Hyper-V

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Sep 30 15:54:39 UTC 2015

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 15:27:23 +0000, Dangling Pointer wrote:
> Thanks Polytropon for your reply.
> I am seeing this issue with these image as are (by only installing `git` and no other alterations made to the OS whatsoever):
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/VM-IMAGES/10.2-RELEASE/amd64/Latest/FreeBSD-10.2-RELEASE-amd64.vhd.xz.ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/VM-IMAGES/10.1-RELEASE/amd64/Latest/FreeBSD-10.1-RELEASE-amd64.vhd.xz.
> Should those be considered as standard installation?

Yes. As far as I know, they don't have any customization related
to terminal emulation and paging.

As it has been suggested by Michael B. Eichorn, you can try setting
a different than the standard (US) character set and encoding, even
though this _should_ not have anything to do with the problem you're
seeing.

For example, I could verify the correct working of the color codes
in a normal xterm and on the text mode console with LC_ALL set to
the (german) setting en_US.ISO8859-1. You could try en_US.UTF-8
as well.

However, make sure - just to be _really_ sure - that your Git output
hasn't been mangled and there are _real_ ESC characters in it, by
dumping some output to a temporary file and checking it with the
"hexdump -C <filename>" command as shown in my previous message.
Verify that you aren't trying to solve a problem which does not
exist. ;-)

Regarding terminal capabilities (and color support in this context)
you can simply try this:

	% echo "This is ^[[31mred^[[m text."

When you encounter the sequence ^[, press Ctrl+V, then Escape. This
will escape the escape character, and ^[ will be shown.

You should see the word "red" in red color. If not - well, _then_
you're beginning to see an existing problem. :-)

> Maybe it is related to keyboard layout as when I press Del key in
> text editor or command line, I get tilde (~) sign instead of getting
> character at cursor deleted (so I use Backspace for deletion which
> works perfectly fine)?

No, not related, but a separate problem. It's easy to resolve.
Depending on your shell, and let's assume the C shell is still
your default interactive shell:

Go to the /etc/csh.cshrc file (global C shell configuration)
and add after the "if ( $?tcsh ) then" block:

	bindkey ^? delete-char		# for console
	bindkey ^[[3~ delete-char	# for xterm

Now the DEL key will work as expected. You can verify the
correct setting with the "stty -a" command.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany