zfs performance degradation

Paul Kraus paul at kraus-haus.org
Thu Sep 24 14:40:44 UTC 2015

On Sep 24, 2015, at 9:57, Dmitrijs <war at dim.lv> wrote:

>> So a zpool made up of one single vdev, no matter how many drives, will average the performance of one of those drives. It does not really matter if it is a 2-way mirror vdev, a 3-way mirror vdev, a RAIDz2 vdev, a RAIDz3 vdev, etc. This is more true for write operations that read (mirrors can achieve higher performance by reading from multiple copies at once).

> Thanks! Now I understand. Although it is strange, that you did not mention how RAM and\or CPU matters. Or do they? I start observing that my 4core Celeron J1900 is throttling writes.

Do you have compression turned on ? I have only seen ZFS limited by CPU (assuming relatively modern CPU) when using compression. If you are using compression, make sure it is lz4 and not just “on".

RAM effects performance in that pending (async) writes are cached in the ARC. The ARC also caches both demand read data as well as prefetched read data. There are a number of utilities out there to give you visibility into the ARC. `sysctl -a | grep arcstats` will get you the raw data :-)

When you benchmark you _must_ use a test set of data that is larger than your RAM you you will not be testing all the way to / from the drives :-) That or artificially reduce the size of the ARC (set vfs.zfs.arc_max=“<bytes>” in /boot/loader.conf).

> Still haven't found at least approximate specification\recommendation as simple as "if you need zfs mirror 2 drives, take at least core i3 or e3 processor, 10 drives - go for e5 xeon, etc". I did not notice cpu impact on windows machine, still i've got " load averages:  1.60, 1.43,  1.24 " on write on zfs.

How many cores / threads ? As long as you have more cores / threads than the load value you are NOT out of CPU resources, but you may be saturating ONE CPU with compression or other function.

I have been using HP Proliant MicroServer N36L, N40L, and N54L for small file servers and I am only occasionally CPU limited. But my work load on these boxes is very different from yours.

My backup server is a SuperMicro with dual Xeon E5520 (16 total threads) and 12 GB RAM. I can handily saturate my single 1 Gbps network. I have compression (lz4) enabled on all datasets.

--
Paul Kraus
paul at kraus-haus.org