spamd: could not create IO::Socket::IP socket on [::1]:783: Permission denied

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 21 11:05:09 UTC 2015

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 00:21:48 -0600
reg at dwf.com wrote:

> It appears that I have some configuration left to do
>

> spamd: could not create IO::Socket::IP socket on [::1]:783:
> Permission denied server socket setup failed, retry 1: spamd: could
> not create IO::Socket::IP socket on [127.0.0.1]:783
> : Permission denied
>
> What do I need to do to get spamd to run?

It depends what you are trying to do

Most likely you are trying to start spamd as an unprivileged user
rather than starting it as root and letting it drop to the user
specified by the -u argument. It has to start as root to use a low port.

If you want it to work with user data in home directories it needs to
start as root and run without -u.