10.2 graphics problem

Glenn English ghe at slsware.net
Fri Sep 18 03:54:06 UTC 2015

On Sep 17, 2015, at 8:48 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

Well, glory halleluia. Warren and/or Adam solved my problem. Massive thanks to both of you. FreeBSD is an amazingly helpful place.

XFCE does what I expect it to, with root or me logged in to it.

These fixes seem to have cured another very annoying problem: it used to start up with a screen full of flickering green noise, unless I waited 15 seconds after a shutdown before booting.

I must say, though, that what I entered into those config files could have been Plato's Greek to me. I think I may have a little reading to do -- I remember how Linux was complete gibberish to me 10 or 15 years ago.

I've got what I think is a first edition of the Handbook and the book on the FreeBSD kernel. Is there a more recent release (on dead trees) of the Handbook? I've got the 10.2 on my disk, and I spent a lot of time this afternoon printing parts of it (I do better reading paper).

While I've got you on the phone, is it reasonable to try to use an RME Hammerfall sound card on FreeBSD? I can't find much about it on the net, except for a picture (and no text) of Beastie on one of the RME pages.

--
Glenn English