10.2 graphics problem

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Sep 16 07:51:25 UTC 2015

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 19:09:42 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block wrote:

> >> Ah! Nothing works, mouse, keyboard, nothing except the power button.
> >
> > This sounds familiar - X, HAL & DBUS fun. :-)
> >
> > http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html
>
> That article is somewhat obsolete and can be replaced with "Use vt(4)."

So an addition of the "vt vs. sc" topic would be nice, if
(and _really_ if) those HAL side effects are no longer
significant. I think HAL has been deprecated in Linux for
some time now, and more and more packages are dropping
it as a dependency or component, and that's a _good_ thing,

If I remember correctly, that's DBus's fate as well - being
deprecated and replaced by something Linux-centric (probably
a kernel mechanism). Maybe we can take the *Kit stuff with
that trash in the near future, too? :-)

> Problems can also be caused by cargo-culting an xorg.conf file, rather
> than trying with an empty one.

Typically not found in a fresh install. :-)

> > I have configured X to work without HAL and DBUS and PolicyKit
> > and ConsoleKit and who knows what stuff... but if you're going
> > to use Xfce, you better keep those dependencies or many things
> > inside Xfce won't work as expected.
>
> Not necessary.  I use dbus with xfce, but HAL is not needed and the rest
> need little or no configuration.

Nice to hear that. Was about time. :-)

I'd still be interested if system power control and automount
capabilities still require fiddling with the *Kit's XML files
scattered across the /usr/local subtree. :-)

> >> This is a SuperMicro with a low end Radeon graphics card.
> >> If vt(7) doesn't work I'll try vt(8).
>
> Err... there is only vt(4).

I think this is just a little confusion of "sc or vt", where
sc is the alternative to vt, and only if you really _really_
need it (german Umlaut support in text mode could be imagined
as an example).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany