Poor support for graphic cards

Paul Pathiakis pathiaki2 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 15 21:05:12 UTC 2015

I've been having no issue in my PCBSD/FreeBSD mixed environment here.

The KMS stuff, once over, has been great in supporting all the ATI and
Intel cards.

I can offer insight on the NVIDIA support on both PC and Free....
Awesome!!!  Fast!!!!

I, presently, have running:  GTX680, GTX 550i, GT 550, GTX 430, GTX 630,
etc.  The 680 is in my son's dual boot rig that he games on.

Personally, NVidia has closed drivers so I understand Warren's take on
it and can agree with it.  However, the reason that they are making it
tight again seems that NVidia is grabbing lots of market share (despite
the console market).  To that end, the counterfeiters are taking lower
end cards and flashing the BIOS to identify as high-ends.  I got screwed
on Ebay by this.  Ebay made it right, but the GT550 was, supposedly, a
GTX 780....  So, Nvidia is trying to do more to protect the BIOS and
drivers to keep things like this from happening.  Agree?  Disagree? I
don't know.  I don't like 'closed' either but I really didn't like
getting screwed.