10.2 graphics problem

Glenn English ghe at slsware.net
Tue Sep 15 19:08:55 UTC 2015

I'm trying to move from Debian Linux to FreeBSD. xorg runs and displays the crossed grey and black, like it's supposed to. I've even seen an XFCE desktop. But once this comes up (both of them), there's no way, short of rebooting, to quit xorg or to get back to the console. I've tried several times to install XFCE with 10.2.

I'm thinking the problem may have to do with dbus.

I booted this morning, and it works perfectly (as far as I can tell) to the console. But when I type:

service dbus start

the error message says it couldn't get the UID and GID for 'messagebus'. So I said

pkg install dbus

Everything updated it self properly, and it said that the latest version of dbus was already installed.

Where does user messagebus come from? Am I wrong about what the problem is? Any thought and/or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

--
Glenn English