Poor support for graphic cards

Erik Lauritsen eriklauritsen at yandex.com
Tue Sep 15 14:10:45 UTC 2015

Hi

Why does FreeBSD has such poor support for graphic cards?

I would never consider using a Nvidia card with a closed source driver so I need something other than Nvidia. I have looked at the wiki for supported cards and the list is very small.

Is that because people are simple recommended using Nvidia cards with their closed binary driver so it is not considered "that important", or is it because of a lack of developers or something else?

It makes it almost impossible to run FreeBSD on a desktop with video watching capabilities.

Kind regards