Replacing Drive with SSD

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Tue Sep 15 09:13:27 UTC 2015

After spending a lot of time reading through the various responses, I decided to use a larger SSD and use dump/restore to move the data.  However, I encountered an interesting problem which I do not have a solution for at this time.  The system will only boot a memstick image.  That works fine.  I formatted the new SSD and got it all setup.  However, none of the current systems have enough space to do a dump on.  I needed to dump from the existing machine over to the new one with the SSD.  The only thing running on the SSD machine is the live file system.  Dump uses rsh/rcmd which need some files set in /root.  Unfortunately that is mounted as read only as its a memstick image.  I can’t see how to easily get dump to dump to a remote system when you can’t get rsh/rcmd to login.

Since the SSD has a swap partition, perhaps I could newfs that and then mount it over /root?  That might be a bit messy but might work.