Let pkg upgrade packages that were installed from binary only?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Mon Sep 14 19:31:54 UTC 2015

Patrick> Nagy László Zsolt wrote:
>> So is there a way to tell "pkg" that it should not automatically install
>> dependencies from packages that were installed from the ports tree?

Patrick> You can use "pkg lock ..." to tell pkg(8) not to mess with the packages
Patrick> that you want to compile yourself from the ports tree.

You can still run in to dependency hell that way.  The moment you start
setting non-default options, the best way I've found is setting up
poudriere.  It's amazingly easy once you get the hang of it, and you can
do a "build" without breaking your current installation until it builds
clean.

Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
Still trying to think of something clever for the fourth line of this .sig