USB physical ports

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Sep 11 15:49:08 UTC 2015

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 16:35:28 +0100, Arthur Chance wrote:
> On 11/09/2015 13:29, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 11:43:03 -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> >> I have 6 physical ports on my PC box. The boot time messages seem to say
> >> that one of those ports is 480Mbps High Speed USB v2.0.
> >>
> >> How do I determine which physical USB port is the 480Mbps High Speed port?
> >
> > Usually there are two ways:
> >
> > First, there is the visual inspection of the plastic bar inside
> > the ports. They are color coded black, white, or blue, which
> > refers to USB 1, 2, or 3 respectively.
>
> Black and white can be either USB 1 or USB 2 according to Wikipedia and
> my experience. I've got both black and white USB 2.0 ports on my various
> bits of kit and apparently some Lenovo laptops use grey for USB 2.

Yes, I've noticed that too. I have a computer with white
USB sockets at the front - one is 1.0, one is 2.0, and
black USB sockets on the rear - all are 2.0. It's not
very helpful...

> Usually USB 3.0 ports are blue, unless they're yellow, red or orange.
> That can variously mean always on and/or high power/fast charge
> depending on manufacturer.

Yes, those colors indicate the capability of higher current,
there's a better power regulator (more than 500 mA, if I
remember correctly).

> Standards, don't you just love them.

Now you've got n+1 problems. ;-)

--