Problems setting up printer.

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Sep 11 14:12:01 UTC 2015

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015, reg at dwf.com wrote:

> I've read and reread the printers section of the
> Handbook, but haven't been able to put together
> a printcap that will print.
>
> I have a Postscript HPLJ4100.
> It exists with that name in the dns.
>
> Here is my attempt at a FreeBSD printcap:
>
> lp:\
>        :/lp:=9100 at HPLJ4100:\
>        :sh:\
>        :mx#0:\
>        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
>        :if=/usr/local/libexec/enscript:
>
> Since I will be ONLY passing it Postscript, it would
> seem that the last line probably shouldn't be there,
> but this was the last of a number of attempts.
>
> Could someone tell me just WHAT I should be saying?

A LaserJet 4100 is a good printer and should not be difficult to get to
print.

Try the example in "Direct Printing" to make sure the network connection
and DNS are working:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/printing-direct.html

As far as the printcap above, it is okay.  If PostScript is the only
print language, the last line and the backslash on the next-to-last line
can be removed.

Were the spool directories created as shown in Initial Setup?
What file and command are being used to test?
What happens, exactly?
Are errors reported in /var/log/lpd-errs?