USB physical ports

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Sep 11 12:29:17 UTC 2015

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 11:43:03 -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> I have 6 physical ports on my PC box. The boot time messages seem to say
> that one of those ports is 480Mbps High Speed USB v2.0.
>
> How do I determine which physical USB port is the 480Mbps High Speed port?

Usually there are two ways:

First, there is the visual inspection of the plastic bar inside
the ports. They are color coded black, white, or blue, which
refers to USB 1, 2, or 3 respectively.

Second, you use a device to test the actual port speeds where
the device can saturate the port's speed _and_ is compatible
to both USB 1 and 2 (and maybe 3) standard. The port where
you reach the maximum speed of approx. 500 MB/s (in terms of
magnitude) is the high speed port.

Then you can use a colored sticker to clearly mark that port. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany