Storage question

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Wed Sep 9 22:18:54 UTC 2015

On 09/09/15 16:48, Graham Allan wrote:
> On 9/9/2015 4:13 PM, Quartz wrote:
>>
>> The 10.x installer can set all this up for you if you use the 'root on
>> zfs' wizard. You can look at what it does and then learn how to do it
>> manually on 9.x
>
> The 9.3 installer includes automatic ZFS partitioning too; it might
> still be labelled as "experimental" but it works just fine. It might
> seem like it's making more datasets than necessary (eg under /var) but
> they come for free with ZFS so you may as well make use of them. It
> also uses some subtleties I never quite understood until reading
> Michael Lucas and Allan Jude's ZFS book, like the /usr dataset with
> "canmount=no".
>
> G.

Perhaps that label should be changed. I think I recall seeing that when
I was provisioning this machine last year, & it sorta cemented the
notion that I didn't want to fiddle w/ ZFS. No point in scaring people
away if it is really ready for prime-time. $0.02, no more, no less ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III