Storage question

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Wed Sep 9 13:18:27 UTC 2015

On 09/09/15 08:12, Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 08:07:30 -0453.75, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>> *Agreed* on all counts, that's why I was trying to see what I could
>> shrink out of my current 9.3R install, since both new boxen will be 9.3R
>> as well.
> Keep later updating to v10 and v11 in mind. Kernels and modules
> tend to occupy more space, so when you had started with v4 and
> a root partition of 256 MB, this could lead to unpleasant results. :-)
>
> As I mentioned in my comments regarding multiple partitions:
> Disk space is cheap today. If you don't intend to use ZFS and
> rather stay with UFS, allocate 2 GB for / and put /var on a
> separate file system. Look at your current /var for what has
> the biggest occupation and conclude. Make /var sufficiently
> large not to run into trouble later on. Also note that there
> are things that you can manually clean out of /var when not
> needed anymore (possibly freebsd-update and pkg metadata).

I like ZFS in principal (it's one of the things that attracted me to
FreeBSD about a year ago), but, as someone else noted, it seems to
require lots of RAM & possibly CPU for best effect. The MythTV box is an
AMD A4-5000, 1.5 GHz quad-core jaguar, w/ 16 GB of RAM, which isn't
especially robusto by today's standards, so I am staying w/ UFS. Someone
else provided a better incantation of du which told me that my ~12 GiB
of stuff on my root partition was 10+ GiB of stuff in /var, the rest in
root. Since I will be using gpart to partition, I am now planning on 4
partitions per drive, 2 GiB for root, 16 GiB for /var, 16 GiB swap, &
the rest for /home, which is where most of the data will actually
reside. I am modifying my setup scripts accordingly. BTW, I tried to
post those scripts for review by savvier-than-I eyes & they didn't come
through to the list, or at least not to my E-mail from the list. Any
clue why ? Does the list strip-off '.sh' files ? No biggie. Thanks &
have a good one.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III