ports database, sorta-user install

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Mon Sep 7 10:11:02 UTC 2015

On 07/09/2015 01:37, Gary Aitken wrote:
> I'm trying to build gimp from the latest source, while still keeping
> the /usr/ports version installed.  This is turning out to be non-trivial
> (for me), and the easiest way appears to be to treat it as a port and
> use the ports mechanism to deal with the gnu aspects of the source.

> Can someone tell me what's going on?
>
> Is there some better way to do this?  Essentially, I want to build a set
> of new ports that still link to standard libs when possible, superceeding
> existing ports as necessary.  In this case, that means at least a
>    new gimp (depends on new gegl)
>    new gegl (depends on new babl)
>    new babl

pkg uses the packagename and/or origin to distinguish between ports (I
think it was origin but they are working to change it to package name)
To get your ports working with this you want to change the name of them
so that they have their own names and aren't confused with existing ports.

I suggest making your own ports. By creating graphics/gimp-app-ga
x11/babl-ga ... and giving them a matching PORTNAME you will get ports
that can be installed alongside existing ports provided you adjust them
to not install the same files in the same location.

Other ports are linked as dependencies using settings within the ports
Makefile, have your ports point to your newer versions and existing
ports still link to other existing ports.

LIB_DEPENDS= libgegl-0.2.so:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/gegl-ga

The porters handbook explains more about creating a port
- 5.8 is dependencies
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/index.html

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler