/etc/jail.conf documentation?

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 28 20:25:32 UTC 2015

On Wed, October 28, 2015 1:41 pm, Michael B. Eichorn wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-10-28 at 13:27 -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>> Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> > Dear All,
>> >
>> > Can someone recommend something similar to FreeBSD handbook that
>> > describes
>> > building jails for newer systems meaning /etc/jail.conf as opposed to
>> > /etc/rc.conf which handbook currently has in its jails chapter. I
>> > still
>> > have all jail configurations on 9.3 boxes in /etc/rc.conf, but it is
>> > time
>> > to build 10.x production boxes, and do things modern way (implying
>> > /etc/jail.conf). I still intend to keep building jails "old fashion
>> > way"
>> > as described in handbook, as opposed to using tools "ezjail" or
>> > similar.
>> >
>> > Thanks for all your advises!
>> >
>> > Valeri
>> >

>> Check out the jail-primer and qjail port.
>
> (adding freebsd-jail list)
>
> Ernie, I don't think that this is what Valeri was looking for. Those are
> both jail-management utilities not really documentation on using jail(8)
> via configuration using jail.conf(5).
>
> I would be indeed be interested in a modern best-practices guide for
> using the base system jail management tools.

Michael, thanks for your comment. You certainly are right.

Ernie, thanks for your pointers. They are not exactly a chapter on how to
do the whole jail manually new style - exactly as Michael says - similar
to what is found in FreeBSD handbook (alas, for old style). However,
thanks to your pointer, I've found http://jail-primer.sourceforge.net/
which at a first glance looks comprehensive and decent reading, and
combined with my experience of setting up jails "by the book" in the past,
is sufficient for me to do the same /etc/jail.conf way - I've got one
running already; it will need some careful walkover sill, but I'm in
business.

Thanks again for your insights and help, Ernie and Michael!

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago