Bootup error

John Johnstone jjohnstone.nospamfreebsd at tridentusa.com
Tue Oct 27 22:13:10 UTC 2015

On 10/27/2015 11:16 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 2015/10/27 14:48, Jerry wrote:
>> nfe0: discard frame w/o leading ethernet header (len 0 pkt len 0)
>>
>> That will repeat on down the screen until I do a <CTRL> <ALT> <DEL> sequence
>> and shut the pc down. Usually, but not always, it will start up correctly
>> then. Sometime, I have had to leave the PC off for several  minutes before it
>> would reboot correctly.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me what is causing this and how to correct it?
>
> Something is emitting bogons[*] onto your LAN.  It could well be your
> nfe0 NIC, but it might be just about anything attached to your network.

I've seen this occasionally on a HP DL360 with HP Broadcom based NIC's
running pfSense 2.2 which is built from FreeBSD 10.1.  It's always been
after a cold boot, never while the system has been running.  I've only
seen it just a few times.  It was a few months ago so I don't remember
what fixed it but it was either just rebooting or removing and
reconnecting the Ethernet cable.  I have no idea what caused it but I'm
thinking something link specific, meaning just the link between the NIC
that reported and the Ethernet switch. Some odd driver bug, Ethernet
switch interaction (possibly autonegotiate) problem perhaps?  These same
links run clean for many months otherwise.  Maybe bad connector seating
on the initial plug-in.

It's important to realize that only a cut-through forwarding switch will
propagate defective packets.  Many recent Ethernet switches in the <
$100 category are store-and-forward.  They don't forward defective
packets from one switch port to another.  The better / expensive
switches are store-and-forward even ones that are 15 years or more old.
  If there are errors and bad packets occurring on one port the trouble
will remain on just that one port.

-
John J.