ntpd crashing after update

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Tue Oct 27 10:45:33 UTC 2015

On 10/27/15 08:41, Arthur Chance wrote:
> I updated my systems yesterday in response to FreeBSD-SA-15:25.ntp, and
> now ntpd crashes on SEGV, but only on 2 out of 3 of the machines running
> it. I have no idea whether it's relevant, but the one that doesn't crash
> is the only one with source installed. Anyone else seeing this?

Yes -- I've seen that on the one machine I've tried to update so far.
ntpd crashes for me after freebsd-update(8).

Anecdotal evidence is that rebooting apparently causes the updated ntpd
to function normally.  I'd be interested in hearing if people can
confirm that, because it means there is system state somehow carrying
over from one invocation of ntpd to another.

There's a thread on freebsd-security at .... -- seems there's also a
problem with the ntpq and ntpdc utilities.

	Cheers,

	Matthew