replace uname -a informational string

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Sat Oct 24 05:08:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 23:56:12 -0400
"Michael B. Eichorn" <ike at michaeleichorn.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2015-10-24 at 08:09 +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 22:54:24 +0200
> > "O. Hartmann" <ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> > > Am Fri, 23 Oct 2015 13:45:25 -0400
> > > "Michael B. Eichorn" <ike at michaeleichorn.com> schrieb:
> > > Because it is not only the hostname, uname reveals the target
> > > host, date and OS version.
> > >
> > > In our case, the image ist built on a dedicated host for a
> > > security appliabce based on NanoBSD and I'd like to hide the OS
> > > type, the OS name, the build box' name and the build date.
> > >
> > why not replace uname at the source level then?
>
> That wouldn't hide the information in any substantial way. Uname is
> basically an abstraction of a subset of sysctls. As such, the
> information is integral to the kernel itself. Uname is just one of
> many tools that can be used to display this information.
>
> Fundamentally the kernel itself needs to be changed not uname.

we have too little information what would be sufficient for him as we
do not know from whom he wants to hide this. I do not believe that
serious hackers would use uname to identify the target.

As somebody else has mentioned, changing the copyright notice in the
kernel would have a legal impact.

Erich