Automatic reboots on boot attempts

jaymax jaymax36 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 03:48:50 UTC 2015

 uname -a =>
 FreeBSD MACH1 10.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE #0 r286666: Wed Aug 12
19:31:38 UTC 2015 root at releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386

 On booting, everything seems to run OK up to a point. POST runs as
expected, hardware/device probe runs with bright white foreground text fonts
to stdout. I can't tell if the probe is completed because of its rapidity,
but apparently stalls afterwards as there is no further output, in fact the
screen display disappears.

 The system at this point or after some irregular delay period will do an
automatic reboot, [BIOS being set for auto reboot on 'Power OFF'].

 There is no indication of entering the init or getty stage of the
bootstrapping process?
 Perhaps an abort.
 i.e. no grey text displayed!
 There is no evidence of a 'PANIC' either.

 My mobo caps seems fine, no bulges or leaks!
 Of course I can't see those in the PSU, although I swapped another in.
 And there is no dmesg to retrieve.
 Is there some way of figuring out what is really going on here?

 Now, if I boot with the livefs {FreeBSD 10.2 Release Disc} - system boots
fine.
 mount -t ufs /dev/gpt/gptrootfs /mnt
 mount -t devfs /dev /mnt/dev
 chroot /mnt
 mount -a

 Apart from a couple of fscks_ufs everything seems fine and stable.

 Shutdown, followed by a power-up and the problem re-asserts itself. My
/boot/loader.conf is currently empty no customization & everything should be
'at default", yet - continual reboots.

 Returning to the livefs.
 I have to do a fsck_ufs on all the disks, system and non-system disks:
 The universal precipitating message is

 "mount will invalidate journal contents"

 Then the traditional fsck stuff with a
 RECOVER ? yes
 **building recover table**
 **Resolving unreferenced inode list**
 **Processing journal entries**
 WRITE CHANGES? yes
 *****File System Marked Clean*****

 Should I do a normal boot again, then the same auto reboots occur,
necessitating an unceremonious shutdown and perhaps dismount; anyway
apparently the system becomes dirty'. Given that the system did not mount I
could have expected this of the system disk but not all disks!

 What could possibly be amiss here and what are reasonable possible
solutions? hopefully not a re-installation.

 Isn't it safe to assume that since the system is stable with the livefs and
all the disks mounted that I can eliminate any consideration of a hardware
problem?

Thanks!