est

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sat Oct 17 12:40:05 UTC 2015

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:02:45 -0700, john.haraden at yahoo.com wrote:

 > I must do some more research on power management.  This whole issue
 > is more complicated than I previously believed.  However, I can
 > disable est by adding hint.est.0.disable="1" in /boot/loader.conf.

Ah, right.  Well, that's a good deal easier than building a new kernel.

Can you see or measure ANY difference in performance with est disabled?

Could you share the result of `sysctl dev.cpu.0` with est disabled?
I'm just (perennially) curious as to what comes up without it.  No need
to see it for your other 23 CPUs, they should all be the same ..

 > There is also some speculation about increasing performance by
 > appropriately combining est and powerd.

Can you point to any links for such speculation?  Running powerd implies
having est (or powernow on AMD) working anyway.

 > My goal is to maximize the performance of a server isolated from the
 > net for scientific research.

Fair enough.  May you get all 24 cores up to 100% then! :)

cheers, Ian