X won't start

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Fri Oct 16 01:29:13 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 13:12:24 -0400
German <gentgerman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi List,
>

> I am brand new to FreeBSD ( just installed it a few hours ago). So I
> installed base system, then I made pkg install xorg, pkg install
> lxde-meta and trying to run X. When I issue "startx" I got the
> following:
>
> server error, no screens found. Unable to connect to X server.
> Connection refused. xauth: ( argv) 1: bad display name "dawkins:0" in
> remove command.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks

I do not use packages, so my answer could be totally off. If I install
X from sources, it does not have any drivers. There should be driver
packages matching your hardware. You can have a look
at /usr/ports/x11-drivers what is available and the install when you
need. Even for simple things like mouse and keyboard, you will have to
install a driver.

Erich