Follow-up install questions

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 15 17:54:00 UTC 2015

Whoops, I replied to sender instead of to the list - not enough
coffee.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 08:54:57AM -0453, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> On 10/15/15 08:40, Adam Vande More wrote:
> >On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 7:42 AM, William A. Mahaffey III <wam at hiwaay.net
> >
> >Why is speed such a concern for you?  A single SATA is easily enough to
> >read and write multiple 1080p streams concurrently.
> >
> >What do you have against white space? It's too painful to read further.
> >
> >--
> >Adam
>

> I am not streaming 1080p streams on this box, that would be on the smaller
> MythTV box. I will be using the larger box to compile in-house analysis code
> (predominantly CFD, some FEA) & run validation cases, some of which can/will
> produce prodigious amounts of output, ASCII & binary. Larger data sets can
> take plural min. to write on linux mdadm RAID0's, current 1st-hand
> experience w/ the incumbent 1-box compile-farm-&-validation box, Intel
> based. I/O performance *IS* an issue for me, sorry for the bother. I
> configure *ALL* of my boxen to possibly serve as validation & calculation
> boxen, maxed-out RAM & generous swap space. Again, sorry for that bother. I
> am planning to follow the wiki page
> (https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE) closely,
> obviously w/ more HDD's, in my setup, with just the one (1) question about
> 'unmirrored zpools'. That page implies that *any* zpool configuration will
> work, I am just trying to verify that & save myself as many bumps in the
> road & wasted time as possible. TIA for any further help & experience or
> sage advice. Have a good one.
>

> & WTF about white space ?

I think the complaint is that you string everything into one long
paragraph.  20 lines in the original post, 14 in the reply.

Reading text is *easier* when paragraphs are short - the whitespeace
between paragraphs makes it easier to keep your place.

ĸen
  aka "The hedgehog song"