PCI-E SSD cards

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Oct 14 19:52:36 UTC 2015

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015, Rob Rati wrote:

> On a technical point, there are a lot of these ssd cards in the m.2
> form factor.  Using that form factor would allow me to use multiple
> ssd cards and get some zil mirroring for resiliency.  What I haven't
> been able to tell is what type of slot accepts an m.2 form factor
> card.  I know there is the sata-to-sata vs pcie-to-pcie type issue,
> but everything I have found seems to imply that the m.2 form factor
> card would fit into a pci-e 1x-16x slot.  Is that correct?  Does it
> matter how new the MB is if it has pci-e slots?

M.2 can have several kinds of interfaces, including PCIE.  It is a much
smaller connector than a normal motherboard PCIE slot, though.  Some
newer motherboards include an M.2 connector.  There are adapter cards
that plug into a PCIE slot and have an M.2 connector on them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2