Top takes long to start

Johan Hendriks joh.hendriks at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 08:04:13 UTC 2015

Hello all.

We use a central LDAP server with about 10k of user accounts.
This is all running on Ubuntu servers. When we use top on a linux
client, top starts instant.
Now we are in the process of adding some FreeBSD server in the mix.
One thing we noticed is the fact that as soon as we enable ldap top
takes about 3 to 5 seconds to start on the FreeBSD hosts.

# top -u  have no problems.
I found an old topic that top search for the longest username, but
clould not find anything else.

Is there something I can do to speed up the start time of top.

regards
Johan