ZFS best resilver settings?

Quartz quartz at sneakertech.com
Thu Oct 8 11:41:18 UTC 2015

> Resilvering doesn't necessarily trigger disk failures more frequently
> when done quickly as when done slowly -- if a disk spot has worn out and
> will fail on next access, then resilvering will eventually reach it
> however fast it runs. Ultimately, it's best to get the system back to
> full resilience promptly.

> then it may be worth
> while taking the temporary hit on performance and priotising resilvering
> just so you can get it over with.

Well, that's why I stated rebuilding as the only goal. Performance can
be degraded for a bit if it gives a better chance of getting the array
back before another drive dies. I was more interested on a technical
level if adjusting the resilver priority has any statistical impact on
other drives failing. Besides sectors going bad, you can also have head
crashes and controller failures and all sorts of other things. I'm
wondering if there's a 'best practice' for minimizing that.