Install issues

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Mon Oct 5 15:13:27 UTC 2015

I am attempting to provision a new box w/ FreeBSD 9.3R, using a
customized USB drive w/ the default install media plus some scripts I
conjured up to expedite partitioning/slicing of HDD's. I plugged the USB
stick in & powered on. Though the UEFI BIOS gave my no options to
configure boot order, it did figure out that the USB stick was there &
bootable. I booted from that & the loading proceeded up to the regular
FreeBSD 'choose boot options' screen, w/ multi-user, single user, etc.
(6 choices total, w/ the ASCII-art logo). I let it go w/ option 1 (bad
choice :-) ? ) & it failed to get booted, but gave me a choice of boot
devices at the 'mountfs' (or some such) prompt. I entered
'ufs:/dev/da0s1a rw' & it proceeded to boot the installer. At 1st
prompt, i chose 'Shell' & dropped to the shell to run my utilities. The
1st problem was that the USB media was mounted 'ro', *not* 'rw' as I
asked, making it tough to log what was going on to use in queries such
as this one when problems arose. My script completed down to an error in
an innocuous echo statement, but subsequent df revealed no customized
partitions visible for the install to proceed with, & little way to
discern what had happened, since everything scrolled past too fast & too
far to recover. I never found a magic key-stroke combo to page up in
console mode, so I am mostly in the dark. Is there a way to force the
booted root drive to be mounted 'rw' ? FWIW, I did this early in the
summer in a (somewhat complex) NetBSD install, which is where I got the
idea. I was able to accurately log my many screwups & post to their list
for help, which was instrumental to eventually getting that box up &
running.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III