Doesn't switch back to text mode

Bertram Scharpf lists at bertram-scharpf.de
Mon Nov 30 22:09:36 UTC 2015

Hi,

on my new notebook I am doing a dual boot installation with
FreeBSD and Linux. I set up Grub2.

By default, Grub2 starts in graphical mode. But when my
FreeBSD once is in graphical mode, it refuses to switch back
to text mode. Thus, when I should see the startup menu, the
boot messages, and finally the console command line, the
screen stays black with some colored spots on the upper
border, and I am not able to even install X and a login
manager. I still can ssh into the running system and shut it
down.

As far as I remember, this problem first occured on my old
notebook when I upgraded to either FreeBSD 9 or 10. I was no
longer able to enter the console when once running X (by
Ctrl-Alt-F1). That did not hurt as the Grub I had there used
to stay in text mode and X started properly.

I solved the problem so far by leaving Grub2 in text mode.
Do I have to swallow this restriction or is there a trick I
am not aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Bertram

--