gnu make and gcc

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 21:21:18 UTC 2015

On 11/18/15 10:04 AM, Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 08:57:30 -0600, Will Senn wrote:
>> Is it ok to install gnu make and gcc on FreeBSD 10.2? and is it safe to
>> do so? Or, will it cause confusion with the system provided toolset?
> Yes, there are ports for both which you can install. For GCC,
> the binary will be called gcc or gccXY (where XY is the version),
> and GNU make will be called gmake. It will not conflict with
> system tools.

OK. So I installed gcc using pkg install gcc49, but when I did gmake on
another project's gnu makefile, it fails with 'gmake: gcc: Command not
found' I tried creating an alias for gcc, but got the same error. Is
there some trick to making make think gcc49 is gcc or do I need to go
create symlinks for all of the gwhatever49 files in /usr/local/bin?
Which by the way already had gcc48, sheesh.

Thanks,

Will