Is processor microcode advised?

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Wed Nov 18 08:33:00 UTC 2015

On 11/17/15 16:10, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it important/necessary/advisable  to install microcode for Intel CPU's?
>> If so, how do you know which CPU's have updates? Also, after doing make
>> install in /usr/ports/sysutils/devcpu-data and adding
>> microcode_update_enable="YES" to rc.conf, how can you tell if anything was
>> applied - what do you look for in dmesg output
>>

> man cpuctl
>
> But normally this is just handled with a bios update.

Supposing BIOS has not been updated (due to no availability, lazyness,
impossibility over a remote link, fear of bricking the box, etc...), the
original question would still stand: is it important/necessary/advisable
to use devcpu-data?

Also, I see microcode_update has to load the cpuctl module. What are the
implications of this WRT security?
Would it be advisable to unload it afterwards?

  bye & Thanks
	av.