Random Lockup with FreeBSD 10.2 on SuperMicro Boards

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 16:23:11 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:45 AM, <kpneal at pobox.com> wrote:

> When in doubt use 'fsck -f' to force a check despite the filesystem
> being marked clean.

Yes, but a full fsck should be run on a regular basis regardless of
suspicion.

Personally, I got bit by SU (plain) a long time ago and I've never really
> trusted it since. I strongly advise you to 'fsck -f' on your /var just to
> rule out _any_ corruption there.

A lower level fs error isn't going be to detected by a background fsck(only
does preening) or SUJ fsck(trusts the journal).  Such errors can occur on
*any* journaled fs.  Periodically doing a full fsck on fs's is actually
something Linux does better.

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2013-July/042951.html

Many think SU or SUJ obviate the need for a periodic full fsck.  It does
not.  SU and SUJ devs have repeated this since their respective inception.
[1] Hardware still lies, bitrot still occurs, do a full fsck.  Vague
reports of "I don't trust this" aren't helpful.   If you know of a bug,
please report it so it can be addressed.

[1]
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2010-January/009872.html
-- Well initially it's claimed "eliminate fsck after an unclean shutdown"
but details it later showing fsck using journal isn't a full fsck.

--
Adam