Random Lockup with FreeBSD 10.2 on SuperMicro Boards

Gerhard Schmidt schmidt at ze.tum.de
Mon Nov 16 09:52:36 UTC 2015

Am 16.11.2015 um 10:43 schrieb Julien Cigar:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 08:13:09AM +0100, Gerhard Schmidt wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> Hello,
>

>> I'm running quiet a few FreeBSD servers on SuperMicro Boards. I'm in the
>> process of upgrading from 10.1 to 10.2. On the machines running 10.2 I'm
>> experiencing so random lockups.
>>
>> The server running fine bit sometimes (about 2-3 month apart the /var
>> filesystem just locks. Other filesystems on the same drive (mirror-raid)
>> still working, only when accessing anything on /var blocks the process.
>>
>> The same machines running with 10.1 don't have this Problem.
>>
>> All Filesystems are UFS journaled soft-updates.
>>

> try to disable SU+J (tunefs -j disable), I had random lockups with HP
> Proliant servers too and problem. Problem went away when I turned off
> SU+J.

This may fix the symptom, but not the problem.

My Workstation is running 10.2 for about at least 4 Month. I've never
had a problem event with SU+J. The difference is that on my workstation
/var is not on a raid array. So SU+J isn't the real problem.

Regards
   Estartu

Gerhard Schmidt                | E-Mail: schmidt at ze.tum.de
Technische Universität München | Jabber: estartu at ze.tum.de
WWW & Online Services          |
Tel: +49 89 289-25270          | PGP-PublicKey
Fax: +49 89 289-25257          | on request