login question

Michael B. Eichorn ike at michaeleichorn.com
Sun Nov 1 17:02:06 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-11-01 at 10:23 +0000, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

> I am configuring my new 'dev-box'. I have XFCE installed, haven't
> logged
> in to it yet, I am using SSH across the LAN to access it for now. I
> copied my .login file from this box over there, & whenever I login over
> SSH, I get a bunch of garble about aborted X11 startup, then I am
> logged
> in. I attach my .login file. Is there a way to discern the type of
> login, i.e. 1st-hand on that box vs. across-the-LAN, so I can decide
> whether or not to boot up XFCE ? TIA & have a nice weekend.

I cannot find a FreeBSD reference (and I don't have a box with X11 right
now) but the cannonical linux-bash line is:

[[ -z $DISPLAY && $XDG_VTNR -eq 1 ]] && exec startx

'Test if X is already up' and 'Test tty is 1' and startx

I don't know if FreeBSD X11 uses XDG_VTNR, but it is probably worth a
try.