ZFS in a VM?

Brandon Wandersee brandon.wandersee at zoho.com
Wed May 27 21:11:02 UTC 2015

On 05/27, Chad Leigh Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> > On May 27, 2015, at 1:41 PM, Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole at cairodurham.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 3:39 PM, Chad Leigh Shire.Net LLC
> > <chad at shire.net> wrote:
> >> I do.  I do it not so much for any performance benefits, if any, ZFS offers, but more for data integrity.
> >
> > Exactly what I was looking for, too.
> >

> >> You need to tune it since the VM based disks are not the same as physical disks.
> >
> > I'm afraid that I don't understand.  Can you explain what you mean by "tune it?"
>
> There are various kernel “tunables” (aka “kernel state”, settable “variables” in the kernel, see “man sysctl”) that affect ZFS.

A lot of tuning "knobs" are described here:

http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS%5FEvil%5FTuning%5FGuide

As others have implied/stated, any results you get from a VM (especially after
fiddling with tuning) won't accurately reflect anything you'd get from using ZFS
on bare metal, and some operations are just out of the question.

        :: Brandon Wandersee ::
    :: brandon.wandersee at zoho.com ::
"A common mistake that people make when
trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity
of complete fools."
                            - Douglas Adams