ftp timeouts?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat May 23 11:11:52 UTC 2015

On Fri, 22 May 2015 18:37:17 -0700, Jeffry Killen wrote:
> I use another machine on local network to connect to it via ftp. But I
> notice the ftp
> connection from the client is dropped after a certain amount of
> inactivity.  If I open a file
> and spend too much time editing the file before saving back to the
> server, the connection
> is delayed for some 30 seconds before the save process is executed.
>
> It also seems to be using SFTP because when I first make the
> connection my
> ftp client (gui Fetch on Mac OSX 10.6x) asks me to enter the password
> even
> though it is already in the shortcut record.
>
> What configuration file would this be dependent on. And what value(s)?
>
> Note: I do have ftp called by inetd.

You can do the following: First, read "man ftpd", then use
the -t flag in /etc/ined.conf, for example:

ftp stream  tcp  nowait  root  /usr/libexec/ftpd  ftpd -ll -t 60

This will provide a timeout of 60 minutes. Clients _might_
request a lower timeout value, so check your client's settings
as well.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany