is the forum down?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri May 22 19:08:37 UTC 2015

On Fri, 22 May 2015 10:24:19 -0400, J2R2 P wrote:
> Alternatively, could you please point me to a resource that clearly
> explains how to allow the user to switch to a regular xterm console
> after starting xfce4 using startx; and how to return to the normal xterm
> after login out or exiting the xfce4 session. I seem to just get the
> monitor turned off no matter all the changes I have made to many config
> files during the last few days.

You're probably seeing the "new" system console effect:
The driver for the text mode console (virtual terminals,
_not_ xterms) nas been changed and doesn't work with all
graphics cards. So if you press Ctrl+Alt+PF1 (for example),
the monitor will switch off due to "no signal". You can
maybe switch back with Alt+PF9 (this is the virtual terminal
that runs X).

This should help:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons

See the relationship between the "vt" and "sc" devicd drivers
and how to switch.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany