NanoBSD: issue including firmware for ral driver in image

Buzz Zaman buzzy at belgoline.com
Wed May 20 21:59:16 UTC 2015

Hi all,

With my current NanoBSD build I'm not able to bring up the ral0
interface. Instead I get the following:

  rt2561sfw: could not load firmware image, error 2
  ral0: rt2661_load_microcode: unable to retrieve firmware image
rt2561sfw
  ral0: rt2661_init_locked: could not load 8051 microcode, error 22

I figured out that I need the firmware for the device which I hoped
accomplishing with including the firmware, ral and ralfw modules in my
nanobsd.conf (included at the end).

However this leads to the kernel failing to install, more specifically I
get the following error

  ===> ral (install)
  install -o root -g wheel -m 555
if_ral.ko /usr/obj/nanobsd.nano//_.w/boot/kernel
  install -o root -g wheel -m 555
if_ral.ko.symbols /usr/obj/nanobsd.nano//_.w/boot/kernel
  ===> ralfw (install)
  ===> ralfw/rt2561 (install)
  install -o root -g wheel -m 555
rt2561fw.ko /usr/obj/nanobsd.nano//_.w/boot/kernel
  install: rt2561fw.ko: No such file or directory
  *** Error code 71

I'm working with 10.1-RELEASE.

I googled around but didn't find anything useful. I guess that this is
basic FreeBSD module building stuff... but I don't see it.

Apart from that I'm really impressed with NanoBSD, it's simply great!

nanobsd.conf:

  NANO_NAME="nano"

  NANO_KERNEL=GENERIC
  NANO_ARCH=i386
  TARGET_ARCH=i386; export TARGET_ARCH
  TARGET_CPUTYPE=i386; export TARGET_CPUTYPE
  NO_CLEAN=YES
  NANO_DRIVE=ad1

  NANO_MEDIASIZE=1900000
  NANO_CONFSIZE=40960
  NANO_RAM_ETCSIZE=20480
  NANO_RAM_TMPVARSIZE=102400
  NANO_NEWFS="-m 0 -b 4096 -f 512 -i 8192 -O1"
  # NANO_PMAKE="make -j 8"
  NANO_PMAKE="${NANO_PMAKE} -DDB_FROM_SRC"
  NANO_MODULES="pf pflog if_bridge bridgestp netgraph/netgraph
netgraph/ether netgraph/pppoe netgraph/socket wlan wlan_xauth wlan_tkip
wlan_ccmp wlan_wep wlan_rssadapt firmware amdtemp bios wlan_amrr ral
ralfw"

  # 0 -> Leave second image all zeroes so it compresses better.
  # 1 -> Initialize second image with a copy of the first
  NANO_INIT_IMG2=0

  CONF_INSTALL='
  WITHOUT_INSTALLLIB=yes
  WITHOUT_TOOLCHAIN=yes