gnome-terminal failing to start

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Tue May 19 14:43:58 UTC 2015

On 05/19/15 09:26, Avinash Sonawane wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>
>> In this case, install the regular xterm or rxvt (or their
>> -unicode version, if you need) and use those for further
>> testing. Start "xterm" using Gnome's "Run..." dialog and
>> then start the "gnome-terminal" (I think that's the binary's
>> name) from within xterm. You should then be able to see
>> an error message.
> I completely forgot about xterm! When I tried gnome-terminal from
> xterm it produced an error message as: "Error constructing proxy for
> org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling
> StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal:
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process
> org.gnome.Terminal exited with status 8"
>
> After searching on the web a bit regarding the above error it turned
> out to be system locale issue (which is C and not UTF-8 by default).
>
> But then I found out other gnome apps were crashing at random and I
> personally found GNOME3 to be very unstable so I deinstalled gnome3
> and installed xfce4 which is my current setup.

I hereby 2nd the motion on both GNOME3 & especially XFCE4, which is what
I am using as I write this. It flats works for me & has a very modest
RAM footprint, as well as good compatibility w/ various X11
apps/programs/utilities. YMMV & all that rot ....

>> You're probably using a recent FreeBSD 10 system, so you're
>> affected by the switch from sc to vt. This should help:
>>
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons
> I am sorry but I couldn't get what I should do to access virtual
> terminals. From the given link it seems Newcons is a work in progress
> and may be in the next few months devs will patch the vt issue. Am I
> wrong in assuming this or should I take any explicit steps to access
> virtual terminals?

Sorry, no help there, I am on 9.3R-p13 ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III