SFTP doesn't work from a specific client

Jaime Kikpole jkikpole at cairodurham.org
Tue May 19 12:41:55 UTC 2015

I have a system that pushes out data files via SFTP to a FreeBSD
system each night.  I'm in the process of replacing that FreeBSD
system (its really old & still runs 8.x.)  My issue is that the data
source can't connect via SFTP, but other systems can.  When it tries,
this appears in /var/log/auth.log:

May 19 08:24:56 its1 sshd[38792]: error: PAM: authentication error for
<USERNAME> from <IP ADDRESS>
May 19 08:24:56 its1 sshd[38792]: error: Received disconnect from <IP
ADDRESS>: 3: com.jcraft.jsch.JSchException: Auth cancel [preauth]

When I test it from the system that pushes out the data, it prompts me
to accept an SSH key and then tells me that it  failed to connect.
Unfortunately, its a GUI and has basically no diagnostic data to work
from.

I get the same results when I try to make the data source do SFTP
conenctions to other systems, including some that are 10.1-RELEASE-p9
and some that are 10.1-RELEASE-p10.  The weird thing is that I can use
command line SFTP from any other location (including other FreeBSD
systems and even a MacOS 10.9 system at home) to connect to these
FreeBSD systems and everything works.  I can connect, authenticate,
and even ls and cd around the file system.

This feels like the data sending software is expecting something that
isn't setup on the FreeBSD 10.1 systems, but is setup on the FreeBSD
8.x system.  I just don't know what.

Any thoughts on how to diagnose this?

--
Jaime Kikpole
Network Administrator

Technical Support:
help at cairodurham.org
go.cairodurham.org/techtips

--
This electronic message and any attachment(s) may contain confidential or
legally privileged information protected by law from further disclosure and