kernel: pid #n (vmmouse_detect), uid 0: exited on signal 10 (core dumped)

Avinash Sonawane rootkea at gmail.com
Sat May 16 10:29:18 UTC 2015

Hello all!

Recently I have noticed a strange thing with my system.

Every time I log on to my system I find a line like "kernel: pid #n
(vmmouse_detect), uid 0: exited on signal 10 (core dumped)" where #n
is an integer just before the "login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON ttyv0" in
/var/log/messages

Here is my /var/log/messages http://pastebin.com/PHrn5NQD

`man vmmouse_detect` says:
"vmmouse_detect  is a tool for detecting if running in a VMware
environ-ment where vmmouse is used.  It exits with a  0 return value
if  the vmmouse client is enabled, and 1 if not."

So why vmmouse_detect is dumping the core on each login instead of
returning 1 or 0?

BTW I don't remember setting any startup script for vmmouse_detect. I
have xorg installed though.

So if starting vmmouse_detect on boot is importnat for xorg to
function properly (which I presume as I haven't configured
vmmouse_detect to start on boot and I think xorg has), how do I make
vmmouse_detect to exit cleanly. i.e. without dumping the core?

--
Avinash Sonawane (RootKea)
PICT, Pune