configuration script?

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Sat May 16 02:59:26 UTC 2015

> On 15 May 2015, at 18:47, Jeffry Killen <jekillen at prodigy.net> wrote:
>
> In the past when I installed from cds ordered from FreeBSD mall, there
> was a lot of software I could add after the installation process was
> concluded. I did not see that here. Is that what the "Live Cd" is all about.
> (I have been browsing the  handbook and haven't found anything
> revealing in this respect)

I normally reboot the system and get it running on the newly installed system and then add ports.

> When there are two or more network interfaces that have names
> like en0, en1... etc. How do I tell which physical port is used by which
> network device? When there are only two, it is easy to switch back and
> fourth and look at ifconfig output, and do pinging for hosts on the
> same networks. In this case at least one will be used for internet connectivity
> via DHCP to dsl/modem, and another will be connected with manual address
> to local network. If I have a cable plugged into the wrong socket, things can
> get confusing for me and the system.

The easy way to identify the ports is to use a switch and connect one cable from the switch to one port.  Then run “ifconfig” and see which port is “UP”.  Then label the jack.  Move on to the next and so forth.

> This machine came with two built in networking interfaces & sockets (RJ45)
> that were not supported by FreeBSD at the time. So I got two more interface
> cards that did have driver support. That makes a total of four on this machine.
> Is there a standard pattern for matching the physical port to the device name?

The same procedure above should resolve this also.