Returning to FreeBSD

Jeffry Killen jekillen at prodigy.net
Thu May 14 20:01:59 UTC 2015

Hello;

I have had experience installing, configuring, and adding various
server software packages
to FreeBSD. But the last version I have experience with is 6.2. I
still have various hardware
configurations that are from that era.

The current questions:
How useful is the latest edition of Absolute FreeBSD? I see 3rd
edition available, but on
the authors web site, version 7.0 is mentioned, and I see that the
current version is up to
10.

I can look at hardware compatibility with respect to current version
but in general, will
hardware that vintage be compatible? Later, I can get newer components.

Asus, Ecs, Gygabyte motherboards, AMD Athlon 64 (single core) processors
I presume that most networking drivers wouldn't change to drastically,
but I did
have an issue with a new networking tech that wasn't yet supported out
of the box
by FreeBSD, at the time.

Its been a while. I have a lot of rust to work through

Thank you for time and attention.
JK