Oddball question

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu May 14 03:32:52 UTC 2015

On Wed, 13 May 2015 22:30:27 -0453, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> The graphics card in on-die with the CPU. See below:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_APU_microprocessors#.22Kabini.22_.282014.2C_28_nm.29
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_APU_microprocessors#.22Kabini.22.2C_.22Temash.22_.282013.2C_28_nm.29
>
> Current CPU is a Sempron 3850, see 1st ref. above. New one would be an
> A4-5000, see 2nd ref. I just noticed that they are indeed different
> sockets, but both same family, jaguar kabini. NewEgg says the new CPU is
> 2 GHz, above ref. says 1.5 GHz, I would need to verify that before
> trying anything.
>
> My current graphics is running as vesa, no acceleration. Neither GPU is
> fully supported for 3D acceleration. Most 2D stuff works OK (browsing,
> streaming video). Current GPU is R3 (HD 8280), new would be HD 8330,
> neither supported AFAIK.

In this case, VESA will probably work as before. Sadly
the current versions of the ATI drivers (ati, radeonhd
and so on) don't seem to support the integrated GPUs
for 3D support. If software rendering is sufficient for
your needs, X's VESA support should be sufficient.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany